Full or part-time:
One afternoon a week
Where to apply:
Apply directly to the LLC
0113 343 3212
Did you know that modern standard Arabic is the official language of 22 countries in the Middle East and North Africa? Or that Arabic is the fifth most widely spoken language in the world?
Did you know that Arabic is the language of the Holy Book of Islam, the Quran? Or that Islam is the faith of over 2 billion people worldwide?
Did you know that the Middle East was the birthplace of Judaism, Christianity and Islam?
Our Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) in Arabic, Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies will provide you with a platform into Higher Education and a unique opportunity to obtain a degree in this subject. This innovative and exciting programme will lay the foundations which will enable you to develop your knowledge and understanding of Islam, Middle Eastern culture and the Arabic language. You will have the chance to explore and gain in-depth knowledge of subjects ranging from theology, philosophy, politics and history, to culture, law and gender issues prevalent in Middle Eastern and Islamic societies. It is also ideal and relevant in providing you with a better understanding of the multi-cultural society we live in today.
It is a part-time programme, one afternoon a week, designed to fit in with your life commitments.
- You will be taught by enthusiastic experts in their field, who will be keen to extend your knowledge and thinking, with continued support throughout your learning journey
- Teaching takes place in small groups in a friendly environment, supported by virtual learning
- You will build your research, critical thinking, writing and communication skills, in addition to extending your academic confidence
- Over the two years you will take core and optional modules which will allow you to broaden your knowledge in a variety of disciplines related to the Islamic faith and Middle Eastern society and culture. The modules are designed to encourage you to consider different approaches to an ethical issue and to reflect upon global and cultural perspectives of Islam and the Middle East, as well as to equip you with a wide range of tools for your personal and professional development.
- All students will acquire basic Arabic language skills in their first year, with more advanced language modules available in the second year for students wishing to progress onto degree programmes with a strong Arabic component
Your learning will be assessed by essays, coursework, presentations, exams and blogs. These assessments are designed to stimulate and extend your interest in Arabic, Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies. Furthermore, they will enable you to develop your skills for successful university-level study.
As you progress, you will have the opportunity to decide which degree you will pursue for your future career:
- BA Islamic Studies;
- BA Arabic and Islamic Studies;
- BA Middle Eastern Studies or
- BA Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies.
The Cert HE represents the first level of an Honours degree. On successful completion you will have the opportunity to progress and achieve an Honours degree with the Department of Arabic, Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Leeds.
You will have the choice of:
- Entering Level 2 of their BA Islamic Studies or BA Middle Eastern Studies degree with a further two years of full-time study, or
- Joining the Year Abroad of their BA Arabic and Islamic Studies or BA Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies degree, where you will have the exciting opportunity to experience the life and the culture of an Arabic speaking country and to enhance and practice your new language skills. This additional year abroad will therefore mean that you will complete your degree in a further three years.
Applicants from all backgrounds are welcome and we are keen to support those who have the potential to succeed but whose personal circumstances may have affected their levels of achievement.