The Lifelong Learning Centre’s annual Spring into Summer programme of learning-for-pleasure courses and events gives adults of any age the opportunity to widen their interests, develop their creativity and increase their cultural knowledge.
Our 2015 programme will run from the week beginning 8th June with courses in creative writing, culture, current affairs, literature, language and more. We will also be offering a number of free events in a range of subjects including the First World War and celebratory Canada Day events.
Descriptions of our 2015 courses and events can be downloaded below:
Courses and Workshops
- Travel Writing
- The Islamic Caliphate Revived?
- The Book’s Better!: Exploring Literary Film Adaptations
- Conversational Arabic
- Fairy Tales: From Fiction to Fine Art
- Mash-Up Short Stories
- Payday loans and the regulation of low-income lending
- The Music of Jewish Prayer: Unearthing Layers of Liturgical Chant and Song*
- Cheap energy vs. clean technology?
- Edith Cavell
- New Atheism: the dilemmas of taking on God
- Celebrating Canada Day?
- The Fiction Makes Us Real: an introduction to Canadian literature
- From duck houses to eco housing: sustainable development at the University of Leeds
* This event is taking place as part of Magnified and Sanctified: The Music of Jewish Prayer, a four-day conference organised by the AHRC-funded Performing the Jewish Archive project
What are the fees?
Sign up for multiple courses to take advantage of one of the following discounts:
- GOLD: sign up for 4 courses and get 20% off
- SILVER: sign up for 3 courses and get 15% off
- BRONZE: sign up for 2 courses and get 10% off
Six-week courses: £40 full fee / £20 concessionary fee
Four-week courses: £34 full fee / £17 concessionary fee
Mash-Up Short Stories workshop: £17 full fee / £8.50 concessionary fee
The concessionary fee is available to those in receipt of one or more of the following means-tested benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance or New Deal Allowance
- Working Tax Credit
- Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Carer’s Allowance
- Council Tax Support
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Universal Credit
How can I register?
Courses and fee-paying events
The easiest way to register is online via the University’s Online Store. Click on ‘Spring into Summer 2015’ too see a list of all Spring into Summer courses and to register.
Please note that registrations for ‘The Music of Jewish Prayer: Unearthing the Layers of History’ is via Performing the Jewish Archive’s ‘Magnified and Sanctified: The Music of Jewish Prayer’ conference website.
Registrations for free events will be online, via Eventbrite.
Alternatively, you can also register by contacting Georgina Collins on 0113 343 6892 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Receive Spring into Summer updates by signing up to for our mailing list – you can do so using the form at the bottom of this page, or alternatively by contacting Georgina Collins on 0113 343 6892 / email@example.com.
Details of previous Spring into Summer courses and events are available on our archive page.
Feedback from the 2014 programme included:
An obvious knowledge and love of the subject was passed on to us
Absolutely wonderful, didn’t want it to end