The University has policies on support for pregnant students / students with very young children and for students with other caring responsibilities.
For other local childcare providers, see:
- North Yorkshire
- For other areas please click here, or alternatively search for childcare providers by postcode
- Full-time Home/EU undergraduates may be eligible for support towards the costs of being a student parent
- Part-time Home/EU undergraduates may be eligible for support with childcare costs through the Access to Learning Fund
- You can check your eligibility for state benefits while you are a student
- Leeds University Union can also provide information and advice about money matters
- University accommodation suitable for families
- Accommodation for students with families available through UNIPOL
- Access: Buggy friendly routes around campus are signposted on the green and white signs. The University has also recently set up an access route on campus for students and staff who use wheelchairs or pushchairs. To see the route you can view this map, or for more information you can look at this PDF
- Toyboxes are available in:
- Emergency supplies: An ‘emergency kit’ with nappies, baby food etc. is available on request from the Reception desks at the Lifelong Learning Centre and Leeds University Union
- Nappy changing: Buildings which have nappy changing facilities are shown on the Campus Accessibility map. These include:
- Parkinson Building Room B.35 (women’s toilet)
- Old Mining Building Room 1.02
- Leeds Dental Institute Room 5.070
- Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building Level 10, Room 13
- Leeds University Union in the women’s toilets near reception (ground floor), the women’s toilet in the Old Bar (basement) and in the unisex toilet in the Mine Bar (basement)
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, Charles Thackrah Building Downstairs disabled toilet (G37)
- Laidlaw Library, downstairs in the disabled toilet opposite Caffe Nero
- Leeds University Union has a private room available on level 1 of the Student Advice Centre
- The Lifelong Learning Centre in the Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building welcomes student parents and will make a quiet room available for their use if possible
- The Leeds Institute of Health Sciences (Charles Thackrah Building) have a private room which can be booked by staff or parents needing to express milk or feed their babies. Please contact LIHS reception and ask to book room 2.01 (tel: 0113 343 0839)
- Other departments may also be able to make a room available on request
Meeting other student parents online
StudentParents.org is a website which you may find useful.
If you want to meet parents local to the Leeds area, try Netmums.
Meeting other student parents in person
- The Lifelong Learning Centre organises regular social events at which student parents are present, and also organises events specifically for student parents and their families. For upcoming events check our events page.
- The Lifelong Learning Centre welcomes friends and family to its Welcome events for new students and also hosts a Freshers Week tea party in September specifically for student parents new to the University and their families
NUS student parents website
These pages bring together NUS research, toolkits, briefings and information about campaigns, with links to external organisations and research carried out locally by students’ unions.
Click here to access the NUS student parents website.